Monday, May 23, 2005

Japanese hate studying??

My teacher is starting to teach us kanji characters, which generally look and mean the same as traditional chinese characters but pronounced differently. example, 大 indeed means big.

But this one is damn interesting...

勉强

These 2 characters mean "forced; against one's will" in chinese (read:mian2 qiang3), but they mean "study" in kanji (read:benkyoo)! So the japanese think that studying is something against their will huh?

which i absolutely DISAGREE!

Somehow, my short (yeah, short..) stint as a teacher has helped me gain a whole new perspective of "studying". It irks me to see students having the i-think-Phy-is-boring-so-i-refuse-to-listen attitude, or worse, the i-can't-be-bothered-with-Phy-so-i-am-not-doing-my-tutorial attitude, as though the whole school owes them one for forcing them take physics! YAH RIGHT! No one forced them to choose physics out of so many subjects that are available! No one forced them to put down physics just for the sake of making up 4 Alevel subjects! But since u have chosen the subject already, be responsible for your choice! Be commited to do your best for the subject, whether you like it or not in the first place! Cuz, YOU.CHOSE.IT. no excuses.

Then again, is it so hard to like studying a subject you don't like? Look, i admit (with a tinge of guilt :P) that physics is hardly among my favourite subjects. But now that i have to teach the subject, i started to learn so many new things about it which i previously do not know! (What Alevel cert!!) I read physics textbooks on my own accord! I realise that physics can be so interesting to study! I am tempted to take physics modules at uni!

See, it ain't that hard right? Just throw away the prejudices, and keep the "end" (exams/cert) out of your mind. What 勉强???

I can't wait to become a student again!


PS: I made my students sound so horrible!! oops! but hey, i do have a few gems! :)

* 4:59 PM